Glimmerglass

Friday, May 4, 2018



I was perusing a used book store months ago, and I found the middle book of the Faeriewalker Novel series by Jenna Black. I bought it and the third book, and ordered a used copy of the first book online so that I'd have all three, knowing I'd devour them all quickly since they are YA.

Things did not go as planned.

I really wanted to like this book. I knew it was YA and so I didn't expect perfection. But? I just. couldn't. even.

I know that in many stories the protagonist should be easy to imprint onto the reader, so that they can put themselves in the hero's place and relate easier. This character wasn't easy to relate to- she had no personality. She basically complained about her mother being an alcoholic, and spent inner dialogue time convincing us all that she wasn't like other girls.

"I'm not like other girls" is still a thing? This book was published in 2010. Why are we still telling 13 year old's that they need to hate their gender and be "cool" to be worthy of boys? It came up a few times, as well as some strange "he hits me because he loves me"- but is supposed to be bdsm light- that didn't quite hit its mark.

I know this is a harsh one, but I really couldn't find much redeemable in this story. Even the world itself wasn't given enough fanfare to want to know more. You just want Dana to go home and grow up.




Join the conversation!

Tell me what you think!

Latest Instagrams

© I Should Be Reading. Design by FCD.