The American Heiress

Thursday, September 6, 2018






A few weeks ago, I was at dinner with my boyfriend and I had an idea; lets go to Barnes and Noble and buy books we don't need! I found The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin.

As a teenager, my cousin Karri introduced me to historical romance novels by Judith McKnaught. I loved them. I have reread a few of them handfuls of times. Other than Austen, I had not read any other romance novels and to this day it is difficult for me to read the "dime store" books because I want a WORLD, characters that are fleshed out and focus on society and human nature not *just* misunderstandings and ripped bodices. I hadn't tried a historical romance in many years, but I recognized Daisy Goodwin's name from the BBC series Victoria. It is her first novel (published in UK as My Last Duchess), and I always enjoy chronological order so I bought it.

I really enjoyed this book. It takes place in 1893-4  during a time when American money was  abundant and those with social standing were marrying off their daughters to titled Europeans. It follows a character, Cora Cash, who is very young, very rich and very naive while she navigates the ton without much support. She marries a respectable but poor Duke, and tries to settle into life in London society. There is never a moment where you feel sorry for her, but you definitely want to step in and Big Sister her out of the missteps she makes.

The only thing I have to shout from the rooftops is: Cora Cash?!  CASH. Really?! That is like naming an English character Winthrop Middlebottom.

I appreciated that the ending was realistic instead of fantastical.  I think it could have had a better resolution for her ladies maid Bertha (who was a great addition as a half black American now experiencing a less hostile but still isolated experience in England). Her husband isn't remarkable and their passion never earth shattering, but I think that is the point. This isn't a love story, it is a story about life and the choices we make when we are young and eager to please our parents and society and how we have to find ourselves in the aftermath.


Join the conversation!

Tell me what you think!

Latest Instagrams

© I Should Be Reading. Design by FCD.